Sunday, May 9, 2010

Springing into Summer...

Summer seems to be officially here with temps well into the 80's and the humidity making the air feel thick and muggy. People are planning their vacations, getting ready to host summertime visitors or just enjoying the warmth and sunshine...and blogs sometimes get put on hold. : )

Photo above...Duck paddling lazily across our neighbor's pond. It was so hot on this day that a large Hawk had actually landed in the water at the pond's edge and, up to his belly in water, proceeded to take a cooling bath. Afterwards he flew to the post top where he sat, looking quite like a drowned rat, and preened his soaking wet feathers. I ran to fetch my camera but as soon as I returned he spotted me and flew off...wet feathers and vanity in check. All that was left to photograph was this little duck, quite content to have the pond all to herself.

The past couple of days John and I have been replacing some of the shrubs that were too fragile to survive this past winter's freezing weather. We'll be continuing to yank out the dead twigs that were once lush green, albeit tropical, plants and placing in their stead weather hardy Ilex (aka, Holly). John laughs and says that we will be known as the "Holly House". Right now we have Florida native hollies, called East Palatka Holly, along our fence line and at the front of our house we've planted both Ilex Schelling and Ilex Burford. Ilex is the botanical name for the holly family, the three that we've planted are all hardy shrubs that will take both Florida's summer heat and the occasional winter frost.

Photo above..."True Blue Heart" bracelet sold quickly (of course I listed it for only $12.00 plus $2.25 S&H Not much for about 9 or 10 hours of work).

Also, as of late, I've found myself drawn back into creating jewelry, even though I realize that every house in the whole USA must be home to at least one jewelry maker ! LOL After completing the "True Blue" bracelet which I posted on my blog, I decided to list it in my Etsy shop and was surprised when it sold in less than 3 days...to a repeat customer of mine, which makes the sale all the more special.

Photo above...Rootbeer Rainbow bracelet...after it's makeover.

Then I basically remade a bracelet that had been in my inventory for a while. When I made it I was not being honest with myself or with my sense of color combinations; I had an abundance of bright yellow seed beads and was trying to find some way to use them. As I wove the original bracelet together I kept telling myself; "Well it will look better as it gets further along". But even after it was completed I never liked the color of the bold, brilliant silver-lined yellow beads with the rainbow rootbeer beads. Eventually I knew I'd have to take it apart (completely apart) and remake it and that day finally came. I replaced the garish yellow seed beads with a lovely Rainbow Peridot seed bead and found myself loving the combination. Once the bracelet was done, it was perfect and on a whim I went and listed it in my Etsy shop. Again in a very short time it sold...to another repeat customer. : )

Photo above...close up of the center section of bracelet notice my hand beaded beads in this section?
Photo below...another view of Rootbeer Rainbow bracelet.

Perhaps these sales were just a quirk of luck but it gave me enough confidence to take another bracelet apart and remake it (this time it was not because of the color combination, it was because I had used beads that were too big making the center section of the bracelet too stiff.

photo below...Blues Bracelet, after its makeover.


Photo above and below...notice the Swarovski clear crystal cubes and aquamarine bicone beads in the center section ? I also used 6mm round Celestial crystal beads in an aqua color . There are also a lot of other beads in this section.


Photo above...Draped over my wrist and photograped one handed to show the bracelet's center and its fabric like, fluid drape.
With my confidence up I also went ahead and created a new bracelet that I call "Fashion Capitals", because the one-of-a-kind metal button is embossed with the names of Europe's fashion Capital cities, Londres, Roma, Paris (London, Rome, Paris). At the moment I have begun working on yet another bracelet which is about three-quarters of the way complete. If you think these were worth posting on my blog then I might post this next one once it is done.
Photos above and below...Fashion Capitals bracelet with my converted button clasp. I had to use another button to cap the goldtone medal , 2 hole button with. Then I used seed beads and small 3 mm Czech glass round beads to decorate the top of the button and also to create a button shank with.

Photos above and below...notice the tiny gold ,#15 seed beads ? They are glass beads that have been gold plated with 24 kt. gold...a tiny, little-bity package of them costs me over $5.00 about 6 years ago...can't imagine what they cost at today's precious metals market prices.

4 comments:

  1. Happy MD to you.
    Your jewelry/bead work looks wonderful.
    I live in INDIANA and we are only having mid 50's so no summer plans yet!
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is beautiful Anna :)

    I am very excited that you are again making jewelry and selling to repeat customer must be very fun :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm from Friday Follow and stopped by. You make some really pretty jewelry. I just signed up to be your follower.

    Paula@One Mom's Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  4. your jewelry is lovely ♥

    I too have had 50s recently... until a week or so ago it was still snowing here. boo

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...