Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Circus Comes to Town - Almost !


Once a year the city of Sarasota Florida hosts a Chalk Festival.  Chalk artists from around the world come to paint the streets with their chalk art - even the big name 3-D chalk artists (the ones you see in all those email attachments). 

This was my first year to actually see this Sarasota event and to walk down the boulevard (along with a crowd of onlookers) to view these incredible pictures.

Granted the elephant in the photo above is not 3-D chalk art - it's a statue heralding Ringling Bros. and Barnum Bailey Circus.  Sarasota was the winter home of the old Barnum Bailey Circus, here the performers could relax and practice their routines before the next circus tour began.  So this year's theme for the chalk art was "The Circus".  Very apropos.

 
Everyone wanted pictures and a few daring souls even ventured out on to the tight rope. 
Careful there, don't fall !

I will be posting more photos of this event but I didn't want to post them all at once for fear of overwhelming anyone (especially since my photography is not the best - lol)

The following photo is not of the Sarasota street chalk art but I couldn't resist snapping a shot of someone snapping a shot ...

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you're so lucky to actually be there! Ever since I saw the first picture of a 3D drawing on the asphalt, I want to step on one :) The elephant looks like real :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be fun to be a part of that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chalk artists amaze me, esp. the ones that make the 3D designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Our local city does one, I think yearly too and I've been once to take a peek and it's amazing what artists can do with chalk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! I bet that was a lot of fun to see all that cool art. Chalk artist are amazing, I would love to see some of those pieces in person. Can't wait to see more!
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Anna. I am jealous. This is absolutely genius. I had never heard of them before, but what a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, super cool artwork! That kind of talent just awes and amazes me. The vision it takes to create a believable picture from chalk alone? Wow. Just, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredible, and you actually get to see it in person! And of course the circus theme makes it all the more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...