Monday, August 17, 2015

A Cornucopia of Not-Quite-Right Pieces


My stash of Superduo mixed mettalics purchased many months ago for a project that I  have yet to make . . . perhaps mañana !

As mentioned in my last post, I've been busy catching up on many projects, most of which have been long overdue for my attention.

A drawer, filled with necklaces, bracelets and earrings all begging to be revamped, fixed or totally disassembled and re-fabricated.  Over the years I had stashed these pieces away with good intentions and the promise of  mañana, but as that old song goes; "Tomorrow  never comes".

Quite often the problem with the piece of jewelry was that the clasp was difficult to close.  Difficult enough that a customer would prefer not to purchase it.  These were the first pieces I decided to tackle, replacing obstinate  clasps with something more user friendly.
 

 

 
Pretty toggle clasp on beaded rope necklace - pretty but a pain to close and to open.
 
 
I've removed the difficult clasp and made a sweet, beaded button clasp to replace it. Now it is much easier to  put the necklace on and take it off.
 
 

Then there were those pieces that were okay but just not note-worthy. They were the pieces that when  completed I hadn't felt that flush of joy at how they turned out.  In the back of my mind they were okay and sometimes "okay" just isn't good enough . . .  if you know what I mean?
This choker started out as a pair of hoop earrings.  The earrings were "okay" but not much else.  Granted I had to make up and add a whole lot more of those pearl embellished, turquoise blue, glass beads, but I think it was worth it. 
Matter-of-fact, I liked the choker design so much that I took a plain necklace of Unakite teardrops and remade it into a similar choker using different colored accent beads (below).

 


This piece was a simple beaded rope with a drab, silver glass, disc bead at its center.  Revamping entailed taking it completely apart as I decided upon an asymmetrical design.  The drab, silver focal bead was replaced with a Swarovski Crystal Pearl in a soft Jade blue-green, and sits in my hand beaded bezel (above).  Opposite the bezeled pearl are multi-strands of teal, seed beads held in cute, tulip shaped bead cones (below).

 

These are just a tiny portion of the remakes that I've been preoccupied with, and  no, I haven't cleaned out that "Fix-it or Remake it" drawer.  Probably I will never see the bottom of that drawer, but at least I've managed to make a dent in it . . .  albeit a small dent.  Have you experienced that sensation where you're not really disappointed in something that you've made but you're not ecstatic about it either ?

9 comments:

  1. I too have things go in the "meh" pile..and I usually use them later in a totally different way that they are just right for! Pretty work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your "meh" pile made me smile - that is a great description for pieces that just seem to be lacking something. :)

      Delete
  2. You do such beautiful and intricate work Anna. When I first took a bead class in 1990 in San Francisco, she taught us to use a large bead with a seed bead loop for a clasp, which I did for awhile. Bracelets are so hard to close so I started using magnetic clasps. But then I made the discovery that if you shove your hands in your pockets, esp if you are wearing jeans, the bracelet will pop right open and fall off. Now I just use memory wire for bracelets! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JoJo. Clasps on bracelets can be a problem as they are a one-handed operation and a lot of clasps are a real pain to open or close with only one hand. I also have not had much success with standard magnetic clasps as they tend to "pop" open. I have found some neat fold-over, magnetic clasps that hold well and are easy to manipulate, there are a number of sites that sell them. If you're interested just search for Fold Over Magnetic Clasps.

      Delete
  3. "Reviving" old pieces is so rewarding! I can't imagine what it is to take apart a beaded piece and make it from the beginning again! Love the design and colors in the unakite necklace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen many of your remade-revamped pieces and you do amazing work. Each item ends up looking fresh and beautiful. :)

      Delete
  4. I think we all have a drawer or pile like this! Good for you for tackling part of it. The new designs look great. Love the beautiful blue choker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I guess it would be a surprise to find an artist or crafter that does not have a collection of things they'd like to re-do.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the blue choker is especially stunning! Do you have before pictures of the earrings?

    ReplyDelete

Nothing makes me happier than to hear from those who have dropped by my blog for a visit. I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...